Hundreds of Israeli troops with bulldozers tore down homes in the Palestinian village of Sur Baherdespite local protests and international criticism.
Residents of the village’s Wadi al-Hummus neighbourhood told local media on Monday that 16 residential buildings with about 100 apartments were being demolished.
“Preparations started past midnight as hundreds of armed Israeli occupying soldiers/ bulldozers stormed the town. Families threatened with demolitions were woken up/ moved out of their homes,” said a tweet by the Palestinian Liberation Organization (PLO).
The Israeli military considers the homes, which are close to an Israeli separation wall that criss-crosses the occupied West Bank, a “security” risk.
The Israeli Supreme Court ruled in favour of the military last month, ending a seven-year legal battle, and set Monday as the deadline to knock down the homes. Palestinians say the demolitions set a precedent for other towns along the route of the barrier, which runs for hundreds of kilometres around and through the occupied West Bank.